We undertake large scale and high profile great crested newt survey and mitigation schemes and also have experience of Conservation Licences for great crested newts. Our experience and understanding of great crested newt ecology provides us with an in-depth knowledge of the distribution of the species in different areas of the UK. Our team can quickly identify situations where the presence of great crested newt requires consideration, and find solutions to often complex problems.
Great Crested Newt Survey
We employ a wide range of survey techniques including:
- Initial site appraisal using the Habitat Suitability Index (HSI);
- Presence/absence surveys following the great crested newt mitigation guidelines (i.e. bottle trapping, torching, netting, egg searching and searching of refugia);
- eDNA testing of water samples for presence/absence of great crested newt (where applicable);
- Population size class assessments; and
- Monitoring surveys required by licensing bodies as a condition of development licences.
Great Crested Newt Mitigation
Wherever possible we will work with the project team to devise a way forward which would avoid impacts on great crested newts. Avoidance measures to be implemented are recorded in a non-licenced method statement. Where impacts cannot be avoided, BSG Ecology is able to clearly explain the licencing process and prepare and implement mitigation and translocation strategies. BSG Ecology has a good track record in securing EPS licences allowing such works to proceed. Our experience and capability includes the following:
- Identification of suitable receptor sites;
- Site based advice and supervision of habitat creation and restoration works (including great crested newt ponds, terrestrial habitat and hibernacula);
- Design advice on great crested newt tunnels and great crested newt underpasses;
- Pitfall trapping, refuge searching and night torchlight searches to improve capture rates;