The ECoW role involves monitoring to ensure that site based construction activities are delivered. We work with site personnel, so as to avoid contravention of relevant wildlife law, and so that the works comply with planning consent commitments and the ecology elements of principal contractor documentation. Such works may also aid the discharge of planning conditions. The ECoW also pro-actively identifies and resolves ecological issues, however minor, that could otherwise give rise to third party criticism of the scheme, and ensures that the workforce are aware of their responsibilities. This helps ensure that work proceeds in accordance with the project plan.
We regularly provide EcoW services to residential housing, public (education), utilities, heritage, renewable energy (wind and solar), and the minerals sector. We aim to assist clients in as cost effective manner as possible providing advice regarding timescales well in advance of the start of construction in order to help ensure development timeframes can be met. We have experience of working with local planning authorities, statutory and non-statutory conservation organisations.
Depending on the scale and type of the development, our role as the ECoW may involve the following:
- Production of and input to key construction phase site documents, some of which are required for condition discharge during the pre-construction phase. These may include:
- The Construction Environmental Management Plan (CEMP);
- HSQE documents – e.g. Pollution Prevention Plan, Environmental Management Plan
- Construction Method Statements (CMSs);
- Permits to Work;
- Ecological Constraints Plans; and,
- the Habitat Management Plan or Landscape Environment Management Plan (LEMP);
- Attendance at and input to site meetings
- Consultation with the Local Planning Authority (LPA) and other relevant consultees such as the Local Wildlife Trust, Natural England, Natural Resources Wales, Scottish Natural Heritage, the Scottish Environmental Protection Agency, and the Environment Agency
- Provision of toolbox talks and site inductions for the site personnel.
- Provision of advice on the protection of ecological features and protected species mitigation measures