We undertake large-scale great crested newt survey and can deliver complex mitigation projects. We have a wealth of experience and an in-depth knowledge of this species. Our team can quickly identify situations where the presence of great crested newt requires consideration and we have the necessary expertise to resolve complex problems.
Great Crested Newt Survey
We employ a wide range of survey techniques including:
• Initial site appraisal using the Habitat Suitability Index (HSI);
• eDNA analysis of water samples;
• Standard presence/absence surveys and population size class assessments (bottle trapping, torching, netting, egg-searching and searching of refugia);
• Monitoring surveys (a condition of development licences).
We keep abreast of emerging research, policies and guidance to ensure that we can provide the best advice to our clients. Our consultancy services include:
• Desk-based studies and consultation;
• Advice on legal protection and licensing;
• Input to and/or preparation of great crested newt masterplans;
• Preparation of non-licenced method statements;